Friday, 2 May 2014

Classroom Website vs Professional Blog




There are many differences between a classroom website and your own professional blog.   Two of the main differences are the purpose and the audience for each.  The target audience for a classroom website is your students and their parents or guardians.  However, for a professional blog, your target audience is other educators, principals and administration.   Your writing voice will change depending on your audience.  The purpose of each of these is also different.  The purpose of a classroom website is to inform parents about what is going on in your classroom, provide students with materials to enhance their learning, to post homework to be completed or assignments, and post materials that are used in the classroom.  A classroom website is mainly used to provide information and it allows parents to become a stakeholder in their child’s education. It is proven that if there is a connection between home and school that a child will be more successful in their education and a classroom website helps to bridge this connection.  However, the purpose of a professional blog is to voice your opinion about different issues in education and to ask some questions for the reader to think about.  In a professional blog, the audience is able to post comments about what you have written and there is also an interaction component.  You are able to receive valuable feedback from others that can cause you to reflect.  A professional blog can help an educator to grow as a teacher.

You would want to separate a professional blog and a classroom website because the purposes of both are different.  Although parents may be interested in your opinions about education for a professional blog, you would not post the same information on a blog that you would on a classroom website.   A classroom website informs others about what is going on in the classroom, whereas a professional blog is about more broad issues.  

4 comments:

  1. Well said. I've noticed over the years of using professional blogs and teaching social media in a variety of capacities that this very simple differentiation between the classroom blog and professional blog gets mixed up quite often. This is the same for Twitter, where I often find people using Twitter for the classroom sharing, but also for their own personal use or professional use. The idea of "audience" really needs to be discussed more often. Perhaps we assume people understand "audience" more than they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really agree with your point about knowing your "audience". I was wondering when we are talking about the differences between professional blogs and classroom websites what if you chose to have a classroom blog that functioned as a classroom website to share information in a less formal and more interactive medium, rather than a class informational website. Would you say there is a different audience for a classroom website than a classroom blog? A classroom website may have a more intranet style and feel to it, it may be used more as a way to relay information and share documents where as a blog might be more personal and include more of the children's own voices an opinions. I'm also wondering what kinds of safety precautions a teacher can take from having unwanted comments show up on a classroom blog. I imagine there is a way to prescreen comments before they are published.

      Delete
  2. Just like we teach our students about word choice in connection with the audience they are writing for or speaking to, we must also be very aware of our audience when we are presenting information and opinions, whether digitally or in person. Classroom websites should be objective and informative and content accessible to students. Personal and professional boundaries should be in place in the creation of internet blogs and tweets. ....and students should not be given access to your facebook page. (yes, I do know of some educators that have 'friended' current students on their personal page)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I think that the audience for a classroom blog and classroom website could be the same depending on how you set them up. I do think that a classroom blog could have more student involvement and posts. I have only had a classroom website where I am the only one that posts information. In a classroom blog, students could post information as well. As well, I am sure that there is a way to be safe and prescreen comments. I am not sure, but I have heard of others doing this.
    Kristine, I agree with you that students should not have access to a teacher's facebook page. That is usually a personal page, not a professional page.

    ReplyDelete