Friday, 2 May 2014

Parent Letter for Flipped Classroom



Dear Parents/Guardians,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce a model that I will be implementing in the classroom.  I will be implementing what is known as “The Flipped Classroom” for our Fractions, Decimals, Percents math unit this month.

What is “The Flipped Classroom” model?  It is basically when what is traditionally done in the classroom (the lesson) is completed at home and what is completed at home (the homework) is completed in the classroom.  I will be available in the classroom to assist those students who may be experiencing difficulties.

What will this look like in our classroom for this unit?  The lesson portion of the class will be completed for homework by the students through a video of the lesson created by myself or someone else.   Students will have access to these videos through our classroom website (D2L).  They will be given an opportunity to complete some of these lessons at various times, sometimes at school and sometimes at home.  When completing the lessons throughout the school day, they will have an opportunity to watch the lesson at a station in the class and students will have an opportunity to rotate through stations.  Some of the lessons will require students to complete work at home.  Students will need access to a computer and internet in order to complete these lessons.  They will have an opportunity to arrange time with me to stay after school, come in early before school to complete these lessons or go to homework club if necessary.  Students can also visit the public library where they could complete the lessons there if necessary.

Why a “flipped classroom”?

1)      I will be available to answer questions the very next day, especially for those who found the lesson confusing or difficult.  It will give me an opportunity to monitor students who may not understand a lesson and may need a little more instruction on a certain concept.
2)      The lesson is available at any time for students to watch again as a refresher or to confirm understanding.
3)      Students are able to watch the lesson at their own pace.  They can pause the lesson at any time, rewind the lesson or even fast forward the lesson when they know they have grasped the concept.
4)      I will have the opportunity to help more students individually as I will only be reviewing the lesson, not teaching the lesson.
5)      Students will have more of an opportunity to work collaboratively to help each other and support each other for this math unit.

Here are a few of the links to the video lessons that I will be using during this unit.

http://www.mathtv.com/#    -- here you click on basic mathematics—fractions—there are a few videos here that I will use for this unit


Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions


Equivalent Fractions


Comparing and Ordering fractions

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at the school or email me any time.

Sincerely,
Mrs.  K. Bannon

2 comments:

  1. Do you think any of your parents would have difficulties with this set up and the at home responsibilities? With so many extra-curricular activities and split family custody sharing, I find any at home commitments to school work difficult to implement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you that there are many difficult factors involved when any at home work is required, but I think that once students and parents see the benefit then they will be on board. Also, in elementary, I would want to keep the lessons that I send home short.

    ReplyDelete