Thursday, 15 May 2014

The Flipped Classroom



                                      

                            

I have chosen to research and respond to articles and opinions about the flipped classroom.  This is a relatively new idea in education and an idea that I was very curious to find more about.  I would like to find out how other elementary teachers have found success in using this method in their classrooms.  In addition, I wanted to find evidence that supported this model in an elementary classroom. 

Does a flipped classroom effect student achievement?  My feeling is that by using the flipped classroom model, this would improve student achievement.  I think that if I implemented this model in my classroom, I would have more interaction with my students, they would have more time to collaborate and I could provide them with more assistance with the concepts being taught.  One article that I read supported the fact that the flipped classroom does indeed positively affect student achievement. It outlines results before the flipped classroom and after the flipped classroom.  The results were as follows: before the flipped classroom more than 50% of all freshmen English students and 44% of Math students failed their classes, whereas after the flip, these numbers decreased to 19% for English and 13% for Math (Knewton, 2011).  This definitely demonstrates that a flipped classroom has affected student achievement for the better.  This article also states that the discipline cases also decreased from 736 to 249.  This article supports the flipped classroom model and has provided evidence as well.  My next reading states that there is no scientific research that indicates exactly how well a flipped classroom works (Goodwin & Miller, 2013).  However, that there has been some nonscientific data that suggests some benefits to the flipped classroom.  This article makes it very clear that although there is no real scientific evidence to support a flipped classroom model, there is reason to believe that the flipped classroom model does enhance student learning if this model is implemented thoughtfully and carefully according to what research deems as good instruction (Goodwin & Miller, 2013).

Are there any successes found in an elementary classroom?  In one blog that I reviewed, the writer found a flipped classroom successful in the area of mathematics for an elementary classroom (Wordpress, 2011).  This teacher implemented this model for a fifth grade fractions unit and although they said that they based their success on a quick assessment, I found the advice that this educator gave for those wanting to try this model with their class very useful.  This educator stated that for this to be successful in an elementary classroom teachers would have to:

- model their expectations in the classroom

-have an alternate plan for those students without computer access at home

-make sure that their goal is clear

-start with some already made videos

-start with only one unit at first, research flipped classrooms

-try making a few of your own videos once you get the hang of it

 

There are many benefits of the flipped classroom for both students and teachers.  I thought that this chart summarized these benefits well.

 

However, I think it is also important to consider the disadvantages to the flipped classroom. In an article that I read, there were several cons outlined.  Some of these cons were some students have limited access to digital devices and the internet, teachers rely on trusting students to view lessons for homework, there is an added workload for the teacher and students are spending a lot more time in front of a computer watching lessons instead of interacting with people (some argue that this can cause serious problems to a student’s learning process) (Acedo, 2013).  As an educator, you would have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what would suit the needs of your students.  I personally feel that the benefits far outweigh the cons listed in this article.  As well, I feel that these cons can easily be solved.  For example, It is easy for teachers to make available internet access before and after school or provide suggestions of areas in the city where students can access the lessons on the internet.  In addition, teachers can set up their lessons so that they can see who has viewed them (teachers would then be aware of who may be unprepared the next day). As well, I think that if teachers begin implementing a flipped classroom in small amounts, the workload would not be overwhelming.  Lastly, I feel that the flipped classroom allows for more one on one time with the teacher and with classmates and I don’t think that the flipped classroom impedes the interacting that occurs in the classroom.

Here is an example of student reactions to the flipped classroom.  I feel this video has a powerful message.  By implementing a flipped classroom, students see the benefits of collaboration with each other and with their teacher.

In conclusion, I do feel that there is evidence and many benefits to a flipped classroom model in elementary.  An educator needs to be aware of the needs of each student and plan accordingly.  I think that some of the keys to success are to begin small, model for the students, make your expectations very clear and allow for collaboration (student and student, as well as teacher to student).

Acedo, Mike. (2013) Teachthought: 10 Pros and Cons Of A Flipped Classroom Retrieved May 12 from http://www.teachthought.com/trends/10-pros-cons-flipped-classroom/

Goodwin, Bryan., Miller, Kirsten. (March 2013) Research Says/ Evidence on Flipped Classrooms Is Still Coming In Volume 70 Number 6 Retrieved May 9 from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar13/vol70/num06/Evidence-on-Flipped-Classrooms-Is-Still-Coming-In.aspx

 

Knewton. (2011) Flipped Classroom Retrieved May 10 from http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/

 

Nichols, Debbie. Educational Technology Tips. (2012) Flip Classroom Instruction:How to Guide Part 1  Retrieved May 6 from http://www.edtechtips.org/2012/09/18/flip-classroom-instruction-1/

WordPress. (2011). Flipped Classroom in Elementary School  Retrieved May 13 from http://insidetheclassroomoutsidethebox.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/flipped-classroom-in-elementary-school/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment